Metal roofing is quickly becoming a common roofing option, replacing traditional asphalt shingles. This is because metal roofing offers a number of benefits that other types of roofing materials do not. Understanding the advantages of metal roofing can allow you to make an educated and informed decision about whether or not metal roofing is right for you.
The Advantages of Metal Roofing
- Options: There are a wide variety of different metal types available for metal roofs, ranging from tin and copper to galvanized steel. This means that you can pick the metal option that best fits your budget and housing needs, and match the aesthetic of the rest of your house exactly how you want to. The varying types of metals also means that you can choose the color that you want, ranging from the bright gray of steel to the bronzed tint of copper.
- Durability: Metal is extremely durable. No matter what type of metal roofing material you choose, your roof will last several decades, as compared to asphalt roofing, which only lasts twenty years at a maximum. The actual lifespan of your metal roof will depend on the weather conditions that it is exposed to, as well as the type of metal used for your roof. Metal will not be easily damaged by heavy precipitation or strong winds, and will retain it's structural integrirty even after years of constant exposure.
- Price: Though metal roofing will always cost more at first than regular asphalt roofing no mater what type of metal you choose, the larger upfront cost is offset by the fact that metal roofs last much longer than asphalt roofs. This means that you will not have to have your roof repaired or replaced very often, if at all, saving you a significant amount of money in the long run.
- Maintenance Free: Metal roofing requires very little regular maintenance. Unlike shingled roofs, pieces of your roof will not be pulled loose and need to be replaced. This will save you money in the long run, as you won't have to purchase replacement shingles, and you won't have to climb up on the roof very often as well, which can be a serious safety concern.
- Energy Costs: Metal roofing helps reduce energy costs, especially in hot climates, by reflecting sunlight. This prevents heat from building up in your home, and reduces the amount of energy that you have to spend cooling down your house.
Need more help? Contact a company like Advanced Seamless Gutter & Roofing Inc. with any questions or concerns you have.